Olney MD Homes For Sale
Olney MD Homes For Sale
Information Deemed Reliable, but Not Guaranteed. The property information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The listing information provided on this website comes from various brokers who participate in the Metropolitan Regional Information Systems IDX program.
Olney is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland. It is located in the north central part of the county, twenty miles (32 km) north of Washington, D.C. It was largely agricultural until the 1960s, when growth of the Washington suburbs led to its conversion into a mostly residential area. As generally defined, Olney had a total population of 33,844 in the 2010 U.S. Census. In 2013 it was ranked #22 Money magazine’s “top-earning towns” edition of “America’s Best Places to Live.”
Originally known as Mechanicsville, the village which became Olney was established in 1800. The area was mostly farmland, but it soon began attracting artisans. Early residents Sarah Brooke and Dr. Charles Farquhar were devotees of the English poet William Cowper, and named their home after the poet’s hometown. The area was in turn named for their home, which still stands and is known as the Olney House.
The Brooke family held the largest tracts of land in Olney, whose central village was at the intersection of the Rockville to Baltimore road, and the one which connected Washington with Westminster, Maryland, to the north. The Quaker community in Sandy Spring thrived just to Olney’s east. The Sandy Spring Museum is a historical museum featuring educational programs and displays. St. John’s Episcopal Church was established in 1842 and survives to this day.
After the siege of Washington by the British in 1814 during the War of 1812, President Madison and his family passed through Olney en route to taking refuge in the neighboring town of Brookeville. Although not as involved in the Civil War as areas of Maryland to the west, Olney residents still experienced the tug-of-war between loyalty to the plantation economy of the South and to the Federal government in Maryland’s midst. Both Union and Confederate forces made stops in Olney during the war. Union Generals George B. McClellan and Ambrose Burnside led soldiers through in the midst of the Maryland Campaign in 1862. During theGettysburg Campaign in 1863, Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart marched a 10,000 and 20,000 troops north through the village and raided it of supplies, including horses and crops from surrounding farms in which they bivouacked.
Brooke Grove Elementary School, a public elementary school in Olney, was awarded the prestigious Blue Ribbon School for Excellence. There are three Montgomery County Public School clusters that bisect Olney, with some children attending elementary and middle schools that send students on to Magruder High School and others attending schools that send students to Sherwood High School or James Hubert Blake High School. The Our Lady Of Good Counsel High School building opened in January 2007, enabling the Roman Catholic high school to relocate to Olney from Wheaton, Maryland. The new building of Washington Christian Academy opened in 2008 in Olney.
Playgrounds, playing fields and courts are available throughout Olney and the surrounding area. Many of the parks are public and some belong to homeowners or other private associations. Public parks include Olney Manor Park (featuring the Olney Swim Center, a year-round indoor public pool), Southeast Olney Park, Longwood Park, Cherrywood Park, Bowie Mill Park, and the OBGC Park at Freeman Fields.
Olney is also home to a private country club and a golf driving range.
As an all-volunteer (but for a handful of admin staff) non-profit organization, OBGC has provided sports recreation and training for over 45,000 Olney youth since 1969. (April 2005) In 1999 Joshua Freeman and The Carl M. Freeman Foundation joined with the Olney Boys and Girls Community Sports Club in their collective vision to bring additional youth recreational facilities to the Olney Community. Freeman Fields is named in memory of Carl M. Freeman and his commitment to investing in the future of our children and the quality of life for our community. As the site of OBGC Park, Falling Green had been an active farm since 1764. A house and barn survive from the original farm. Falling Green house, built c. 1770 by Quaker planter Basil Brooke, is one of Montgomery County, MD’s finest expressions of Georgian architecture.
- Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes bought the 250-acre (1.0 km2) Headwaters Farm in 1937. His wife maintained the farm after his death until she sold it in 1971. The Ickes’ large white house still stands in the middle of the original core of the Olney Oaks development/subdivision.
- Frank Miller, an artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories, was born in Olney.
- Justin Maxwell, outfielder for the Lotte Giants.
- Stefon Diggs, wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, attended Our Lady of Good Counsel in Olney, Maryland.